Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Angelus

When morning gilds the skies
My heart, awaking cries,
To Jesus Christ be praise.
Alike at work and prayer,
To Jesus I repair,
To Jesus Christ be praise.
To Jesus Christ be praise.

Truly, when I'm out and about around sunrise to feed the barn cat, feed the birds and pick up the paper, this hymn just bubbles up. I don't know what my chickens think as I sing to them a little later. They're happily singing right back at me as I open their gate and let them out into the pasture.

But, back to "The Angelus." The famous painting by Jules Dupre of the peasant farm couple, pausing in the field to pray has that title.

   Reciting the Angelus prayer dates back centuries, at first with monks, meditating on the mystery of the Incarnation after the Divine Office prayer of Compline, to end the day. Three "Aves" were recited with the meditations. A bell was rung to alert them that it was time for the prayer.  The practice spread and by the 1500s the Angelus was said by cleric and laity alike, at dawn (6 a.m.), noon and evening (6 p.m.).

   When I attended my Catholic college for women, 1949-1953, the carillon sounded from the chapel with the Gregorian chant tone for the "Ave Maria," three times a day, as I just mentioned.  Wherever we were on campus, going to or coming from class, at lunch, dinner....we stopped, stood and silently recited the Angelus prayers. 

   "The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary, and she conceived by the Holy Ghost."
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

   "Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done unto me according to thy word."
Hail Mary.........

   "And the Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us." (It is a custom, where possible, to genuflect at these words, reverence for the gift of Christ, the Word made flesh).
Hail Mary......

   Pray for us, O holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
.
Pour forth, we beseech thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts; that we, to whom the Incarnation of Christ our Lord, was made known by the message of an angel, may, by His Passion and Cross, be brought to the glory of His Resurrection, through the same Christ Our Lord.  Amen.

The last two prayers ask Mary to pray for us and for Almighty God to fill us with His grace for our salvation.

The Bible is the source for the quotes and prayers.

Luke I: 28   Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women. (The Angelic
                    Salutation, another name for the prayer, the Hail Mary)
Luke I: 31   Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb and shalt bring forth a son: and thou shalt call
                   His name Jesus.
Luke I: 38   And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Be it done unto me according to thy
                    word. (Mary's "fiat" by which we received our Savior)
John I: 14   And the Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us.
Luke I: 42   Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. (Elizabeth repeats
                   the angel's words)

Recitation of the Angelus is a beautiful custom, bringing to mind daily, the fact that God had mercy on His children, and through Mary Our Lord took on our humanity for the salvation of the world.

We continue our gratitude to the Blessed Virgin for her "fiat," without which we would still be lost to heaven. She continues to be our spiritual Mother, as Our Lord gave her to us through John at the foot of the cross. "Behold thy mother."  "Behold thy son."

If Jesus had had brothers He would have put the care of His mother into one of their hands. John stands in for the rest of us, who often need our spiritual Mother for comfort and love. We ask her to help us to be worthy of the promises of Christ.

The Angelus brings us into contact with the immense mystery and gift of God, the Incarnation of the Word of God, made flesh and dwelling amongst us.





































  

No comments:

Post a Comment