Deus, in adjutorium meum intende. Domine, ad adjuvandum me festina.
O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me.
September, for me, is a month of beginnings and endings, new life and passing on. In September I celebrate my own birthday. This year three of my grandchildren are turning 21 and one will be 16. Two great-nieces (grand-daughters of my dear and sorely missed friend) will be 12.
Today, September 1, marks 27 years since my mother died. On the 13th it will be 14 years since I lost "Pop;" and on September 27 my grandmother will have left this earth 45 years ago. All these departings seem like yesterday to me.
My mother died too soon, I think; but God decided otherwise. She wasn't quite 75. Her health had been compromised by three years in a Japanese concentration camp in the Philippines. Although she made many years after her release active and useful, even important in a lot of ways, she finally gave in, let go, and lived her last few years in a state of depression and alcohol. That she let that happen to her still stuns me.
Gramma was almost 88 years old. She never gave up, even in her declining years, gardening, sewing, plugging along in her wheelchair. Long years of smoking with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth left her with mouth cancer. I miss her still. Her wisdom and encouragement are the reasons I didn't turn out too badly, I think.
"Pop," my mother's second husband, and my beloved stepfather, who helped me in so many ways, lived to the great old age of 90. He failed pretty rapidly and didn't linger long incapacitated. I found it interesting that, when I was talking with him, though he wasn't too coherent that last couple of days, I told him that he would be seeing his loved ones soon. His repeated question was, "Mama?" Isn't that something! At 90 years old, the person that was foremost in his mind that he wanted to see was his mother. An odd thing that happened was that out of the blue, and apropos of nothing we were talking about, he repeated a couple of times, "page 13, page 13." He died on the 13th.
I should note that in August I lost two dear ones. My darling Grandfather in 1956 and my best friend of 45 years on August 1, 2003. Her death was unexpected and too soon, I feel. Three grandsons have birthdays in August, as well. So, I guess August is a month of several beginnings and endings also.
The beginnings, I hope will lead to long, productive lives full of grace and the love of God. The endings are not truly endings, but the beginnings of - it is to be hoped and prayed for - a new and joyful life in God's eternity. So, while I cannot mourn forever, since it is our loss, not theirs that we regret, I must trust that God, in His mercy and justice, will take those we love into His loving Presence.
Welcome, you new members of new generations. And may the souls of the faithful departed, by the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
**************************
Oh, my. I must make note of a couple of things here. Labor Day Weekend is upon us. My two sons who visited last year on the occasion of my 80th birthday will remember this. They were blown away. For the five miles of highway between old town Lindale and the 20 Freeway, flags are waving in front of businesses all along the route. There are usually four or five flags, at least, before the business, and even more if there is a large frontage. This is the scene for every holiday. The changing electronic signs that some businesses have will have a patriotic slogan showing. Some will even say, (gasp), God Bless America, or One Nation Under God.
Then, too, school is starting and football season is upon us. The blue and white ribbons are already affixed to telephone poles throughout town. Those same electronic signs will say, "Go, Eagles," "Go Big Blue," etc. And home-made signs will show up around town. This past Thursday's paper had four thick sections covering all the high school football teams in Smith County. Friday Night Live? This is the reality show! Mark Levin gets bumped from the radio station. Football is king.
***********************************
No comments:
Post a Comment