Deus, in adjutorium meum intende. Domine, ad adjuvandum me festina.
O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me.
In the Mass today, we ask God's help in the Introit. (Psalm 69: 2-3,4) Deign, O God, to rescue me; O Lord, make haste to help me; let my enemies be put to shame and confounded who seek my life. Let them be turned back in disgrace who desire my ruin.
The Offertory Prayer is from Exodus (32: 11,13-14) Moses prayed in the sight of the Lord his God, and said: Why, O Lord, are You angry with Your people? Let the anger of Your soul be appeased: remember Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to whom You swore that You would give a land flowing with milk and honey. So the Lord relented in the punishment he had threatened to inflict on his people.
I cite these two prayers, because we have been asking for deliverance from the evils that plague us, the persecutions that are everywhere. Have we been faithful? Are we worthy of help from Our Lord? Moses prayed and God relented. Prayer and a life in Christ are our means of trying to appease God's anger, which must be great as He sees the world and its blatant flaunting of every abomination in His Face. Do we carry our individual crosses, whatever they are, with humility and love for God? In love of neighbor, do we offer to help with the crosses of others when possible, even if only by our prayers? Simon of Cyrene did not volunteer to help carry the cross. He was forced to give aid to Our stricken Savior. Let us not hesitate, but take up our individual trials of life and picture the unbearable load that Christ carried for us. Perhaps the Lord will relent in the punishment He is even now threatening.
*********************************
Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus to Carry His Cross
We adore Thee, O Christ, and we praise Thee,
Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world.
Consider that the *Jews, seeing that at each step Jesus, from weakness, was on the point of expiring, and fearing that He would die on the way, when they wished him to die the ignominious death of the cross, constrained Simon the Cyrenian to carry the cross behind our Lord.
My most sweet Jesus, I will not refuse the cross as the Cyrenian did; I accept I embrace it. I accept in particuar the death that Thou has destined for me, with all the pains which may accompany it. I unite it with Thy death; I offer it to Thee. Thou hast died for love of me! I will die for love of Thee and to please Thee. Help me by Thy grace. I love Thee, Jesus my love; I repent of having offended Thee. Never permit me to offend Thee again. Grant that I may love Thee always, and then do with me what Thou wilt.
Our Father....Hail Mary.....Glory be......
Lord Jesus, crucified,
Have mercy on us!
Is there one who would not weep
Whelmed in miseries so deep
Christ's dear Mother to behold?
* not hate speech or
condemnation of a race;
historical mention
************************************
No comments:
Post a Comment