Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Reason for Being

Deus, in adjutorium meum intende. Dominus, ad adjuvandum me festina.
O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me.

Today, while browsing through notebooks and such on my desk, I came across a booklet of poems I've penned over the years. Some of them were from a particular period in my life. One of the verses seemed to be one that I could share now.  For those who read my blog, you are definitely aware that I try to be God-centered. So many of my posts are religious.  God puts us all here for a purpose. He intends that we strive to perfection - or, as we are told, "we are all called to be saints."  It seems a tall order, given our fallen nature and the temptations of the world, the flesh and the devil. But, Almighty God also gives us the means to overcome all these things. We have free will, to choose between good and evil.  I think that our souls naturally want to choose good. If we are baptized, we automatically have the weapons to fight for our souls' salvation.  We are made children of God, in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. What better weapon does God put into our hands, so to speak.  As a child of God, I try to discern my "purpose" in this life.  I know it is primarily to reach heaven - and to try to influence others along the way to take the same road.  This poem is about seeking to glorify God, my Purpose, and that is the title.

                                                     ****************************

Each word I write finds its source in
Love; in Life; in God.
Each thought I bear and am delivered of
Orbits around God, the First and Last
Of Thought and Act.
Existence demands of me to think thus.

My being daily needs the Father's Strength,
The Savior's Love,
The Spirit's Consolation.
I hear the Omnipresence in mute words and loud,
Infrequent silences that force perception and
Speak to my often deaf and lethargic soul.

The command is imminent to be and to do.
I am a reason for being.
All whom I touch make of me a reason.
Each atom of matter of which I have awareness
And the mysteries which require my Faith
Tell me of my importance in eternity's plan.

No miracle of the forever is any greater
Than the person of me in completeness of being.
I personify unworthiness
In the flesh of my mortality,
But realize exquisitely the miracles called
Mercy and Goodness that make me an instrument of
God's Glory.

My striving to be a strong and verbal weapon for
God's Honor falls ever short. Hope is
A virtue after all. And the engine of effort is Hope.
The Creator reckons effort in my favor.
My desire will one day fulfill itself
By His Help
For the Glory of His Love.

copyright 1965




No comments:

Post a Comment