Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sunday Sext

Et ne nos inducas in tentationem.  And lead us not into temptation.

Sext, or the sixth hour, 12 noon. The sun is strongest and "the powers of hell have greater influence over man." The theme is Salvation. Our Lord hung on the cross from noon to 3 p.m. As the introduction to the Hours in my small book continues, "hell is bringing all its forces to bear against Him. This scene from Good Friday is the background for Sext;in the foreground is the battle against sin in us and in the Church."

The hymn that begins our cry to defend us in this Hour:
      Mighty ruler, faithful God, who arrangest the successive changes in nature, giving bright light to the morning sun and burning heat at noon,
      Put out the flames of strife and take away the heat of passion; grant us health of body and true peace of soul.
      Grant this, most loving Father and Thou, the only Son, equal to the Father and, with the Spirit, the Paraclete, reigning through the ages.       Amen.

Psalm 118, 6  Lead us not into temptation.

     It begins: "My soul hath fainted after thy salvation; and in thy word I have very much hoped." The last three lines: "I am thine, save thou me: for I have sought thy justifications.
                 The wicked have waited for me to destroy me: but I have understood thy testimonies.
                 I have seen an end of all perfection: thy commandment is exceeding broad."

Psalm 118, 7, continues, extolling God's wisdom and His sharing it with us.

      "O how I have loved thy law, O Lord! It is my meditation all the day.
      Through thy commandment thou hast made me wiser than my enemies: for it is ever with me."

Then Psalm 118, 8, speaks of the godless.

      "I have hated the unjust: and have loved thy law." We command the evil to leave us as we try to obey God's commandments.
      "Uphold thy servant unto good: let not the proud calumniate me."  And it ends:
      "Therefore was I directed to all thy commandments: I have hated all wicked ways."

The usual Alleluia, except in Eastertide is:  " Alleluia, I am Thine; save me, Lord, alleluia, alleluia."

The ordinary quotation that follows: "Bear one another's burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ." (St. Paul, Galatians 6:2)

In aeternum, Domine  Permanet verbum tuum.  Thy, word, O Lord Endures forever.

                This is a poor description of the Hour of Sext.  All who are able, should pick up the Bible and go to the Book of Psalms in the Old Testament.  The ones noted in these cursory explanations are there to be read in their entirety.  Perhaps, with the little expository notes I've made, they may make more sense in the reading. Deus vult.   God willing.



     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment