Laus tibi, Domine, Rex aeternae gloriae
Praise be to thee, O Lord, King of everlasting glory.
Sigh! My days are so jumbled and so is my mind. I still have computer problems. It's difficult to post a blog when the "machine" refuses to cooperate, or the day is so filled with interruptions and unexpected occurrences. I hope that this fall I may get a new laptop that will not fight me. Meanwhile, I'm checking at regular intervals the 20 chicks which are growing rapidly, and their companion guineas. They need constant water and feed replacement, the right temperature in their environment, and a reasonably clean litter.
The adult chickens need to be let out of their run into the pasture and monitored occasionally to be sure that no predators are about. Two neighborhood vultures sit atop high light fixtures near the run and observe, hungrily. They usually won't go for something live; but may try for an injured chicken. Currently I have such a one. A hen has been limping. I can't find the cause, but I have her isolated in a cage to try to let it heal and to keep her safe. So, she needs monitoring for cleanliness, food and water. She's eating and drinking AND laying, so that's good.
My one daughter and I have been making runs over to the little rental house she's getting ready for occupancy. That has taken a bit more time and trouble than she would like. To top it off, she was ill and unable to do much of anything for a couple of weeks. My other daughter has been tenderly caring for all the growing veggies and planting more. The bugs are going to be fearsome this year; and we are trying to grow without the usual pesticides. The guineas will be a help there. They will comb the gardens for bugs and leave the vegetables alone.
We put up two purple martin houses, hoping to attract those insect-loving birds. This year, however, we got them up too late for nesters. We hope the nests will be occupied next season. Those great little birds help to clear the air of mosquitoes and other flying pests.
It has been fun and an eye-opener, though, to wander through the ranch and farm supply stores that are plentiful here in the wilds of East Texas. Our local store has most of what I need for the chickens in the way of feed, feeders and pine shavings for coop litter. Another store farther into Tyler supplied my new bunch of chicks and guinea keets, plus a gamebird starter feed that the keets need for more protein. That store has all things ranch and farm, from equipment to fencing to - you name it. Very Texan decorations and gifts abound. Every kind of boot imaginable is on sale for every age. Whatever your horse, cow, goat, sheep, etc., needs, is available. Never thought I could get excited about an insecticide-free outside fly trap for $6.99. I have my eye on a window air-conditioner for a possible rabbit house. Another store has a supply of Omega 3 Ultra. It's flax in a mash form for supplementing the hens. Oyster shell helps give the hens' eggs a hard shell, and the Omega 3 gives the eggs more - well - Omega 3! We have awesome eggs. The shells are really tough and the yolks are bright yellow or orange. One can turn an egg over in the pan and it doesn't fall apart while being turned. And the taste - Mmmm!
Texas is definitely not California. The kids here get cap pistols and rifles for Christmas, and even Red Ryder carbines for use with real BBs. In fact, some kids get their very own hunting rifles, as evidenced by our local paper. Weekly there are pictures during deer season of hunters with their deer. At least once a month there are pictures of kids from age 6 and up, usually with their first deer. Guess what? My grandmother would never let me have a BB gun when I was a kid. I always wanted a Red Ryder carbine. It was advertised on the back of almost every comic book I ever had. So - last week I bought one at one of the ranch stores! I didn't get the one with the Red Ryder signature, though. It was more expensive - and probably a lot more than when I wanted one way back when. Hey! It's not for a useless whim that I bought it - really! I can sting a few raccoons and other critters that get into my bird feeders and try to tear into the chicken run. Honest, Gramma, I'll try not to put someone's eye out!
Well, that's it. Time to check on the babies and the injured hen. It's going to be hot today, so I'll have to turn on the fan in the brooder room. Maybe tomorrow I'll have something of more substance to report or a laugh to share.
4/25/12
No comments:
Post a Comment