Thursday, December 22, 2011

2008 - A New Direction

     I haven't shared this, and some of you may think I've gone overboard; but I think you need to understand what I'm about. From my blog you realize that quite a bit is spiritually based.  In 2008 I made a decision. No, I don't have a vocation to become a nun. There are ways that lay people in the world can lead a more devout life. I contemplated this for quite awhile.

     I am too old to join the Carmelite Lay Third Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary. 69 is the cut-off age. I found, however, that I could observe some of the obligations of the Order on my own. I have tried, since 2008, to try to follow the charism as closely as possible of the Third Order of Carmel.

     As a lay person, I can pray for the transformation of the secular world (the priesthood of the laity at work). We all can, for that matter. The Blessed Virgin and the prophet Elijah are the Carmelite models for this way of Gospel living. I intensely reaffirm the promises of Baptism. We all receive the vocation at Baptism to witness to our Faith by word and example in whatever circumstance life finds us. This is a very spiritual way, grounded in personal and liturgical prayer. It is a call to seek God's will in ordinary, everyday life, to love all with whom I interact, to recognize God's Presence always and everywhere. While I have always tried to do these things, this commitment will bring me more into the "Practice of the Presence of God" (how to remain in God's Presence in everything we do).

     As does the Lay Carmelite, I try to imitate the virtues of Mary, cooperating with the Will of God, Who desires salvation for all people. Elijah is an example of prophetic action (priest, prophet, king), life spent in the service of God, its source in a profound experience of God in prayer, testifying to God's presence in the world. There are married couples who are "tertiaries" (Third Order Carmelites) by the way.

     Contemplative prayer with a spirit of detachment is a necessary part of this charism. I pray at least an hour each morning, usually longer, in an atmosphere of interior silence and solitude, and recite morning and evening prayers, including a form of the Divine Office that priests and religious say each day.  I use the "Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary," a shortened breviary. Hundreds of religious communities have used it, even from the Middle Ages, as their principal liturgical office. It also helps one to come closer to an understanding of the meaning of the Psalms, which comprise much of the Office. The Bible and other spiritual reading (which I have in abundance) are also a part of that charism.

     I am beyond the age of fasting, and have almost passed out when I go without food for long; but I  abstain from meat on Fridays, and, when possible, on other days during Advent and Lent as a means of sacrifice and mortification. I wish I could attend Mass every day and receive the Holy Eucharist, but that's not easy to do. The strength and comfort of soul that I get from Holy Communion is inestimable. Sunday, Holy Days and some special  hours of adoration at church will have to suffice.  Meanwhile, I make a daily Spiritual Communion. Frequent confession is a powerful aid in suppressing even the smallest of faults and engenders humility. Since Pride is the sin from which most (if not all) others spring, humility is a virtue much to be sought. We are all called to holiness, according to our lights. God's grace is there for all of us to accept or reject.

     Why am I doing this? As I said, I felt a strong call to do something more than say my usual daily prayers and Rosary. In fact it was an overwhelming feeling of urgency. Every one of us is busy in our lives. There is little time for prayer and reflection when there is work, school and family taking up the bulk of our days. I have plenty to keep me busy and won't be slowing down much more than I already have; but I still have time to take a few minutes at different hours of the day to pause and to read from the Divine Office. Each "hour" takes only a few minutes.  I try to remember to pray any time during the day, before I start a chore, in the car, while I'm shopping for groceries, etc. That's a part of what I mean by the *"Practice of the Presence of God." I fear for my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, extended family and friends with our country (and the world), rapidly descending into chaos and allowing evil to overcome every good. I am one of those who believes we are approaching a time when God will unleash His punishments - a promised chastisement that will be devastating for mankind. Giving my life to more intense prayer and sacrifice, more looking inward and striving for perfection,  is the best thing I can do to ask God's Mercy on us all.

     My fervent prayers are all encompassing: for family, friends and for their personal intentions, for those in mortal sin, for conversion, for those who give scandal to the Church (including priests, religious, bishops), for the souls in Purgatory, to beg that the requests of Our Lady of Fatima in the cause of peace be honored, to change the minds and hearts of those who slaughter children in the womb, to protect marriage and the family as God intended, to ask God's guidance of our leaders, for the Pope and the Church, and for protection against the enemies of Faith. 

     I am not obligated to this by any vow, but I intend to observe what I have undertaken in the spirit of the Carmelites.  I do ask that you pray for me, to be able to continue in the way I've started.

*There is a small paperback (abridged) entitled, "The Practice of the Presence of God," by Brother Lawrence. It's a 300 year old classic. It's easy to read and can help anyone learn how to live completely in the presence of God.

My prayers are the best gift I can give, and they are given freely and from my heart.

12/22/11

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Gloria. The path you've chosen is a wise one. Continue on it, day by day. As we grow older, we sometimes lessen in our abilities to pray and remember as we once did. Only do what you can, in the spirit of humility and keep in the presence of God though, especially the Sacraments....but, then...I tell you nothing that you do not already know...and that is a good thing...
    God bless us all
    Bob Semrad

    ReplyDelete