Since I've embarked on the social justice theme, I need to continue for now. The principle of subsidiarity is at the core of true social justice, not the welfare state. Liberation theology (which I'll cover at some other time) is a wrong-headed idea of justice.
The Acton Institute (http://www.acton.org/) the link you can go to if you want more information, has set out the definition pretty clearly.
The principle of subsidiarity is one of the key principles of Catholic social thought. It holds that "nothing should be done by a larger and more complex organization which can be done as well by a smaller and simpler organization." Decentralization, limited government, personal freedom are to be valued over centralization and welfare state bureaucracies.
I'm taking a lot from an article I read from Acton Institute. It saves me time. Several popes in the 20th century wrote encyclicals about socialism, social justice, the rights and wrongs of various political thought.
Pope John Paul II's encyclical, "Centesimus Annus" says that the welfare state contradicts the principle of subsidiarity by "intervening directly and depriving society of its responsibility."
We have a problem in the United States with our bishops. Too many have defended the statist approach, criticizing decentralization. They seem to have the liberal mindset that the government is responsible and should do more, taking away the incentives of the people. John Paul II and other popes have spoken from a theological, biblical viewpoint. The Federal Government, taking the rights and responsibilities of state and local governments, deny the principle of subsidiarity.
Alexis de Tocqueville, in his Democracy in America, opposed this centralizing. He noted that true democracy is a product of local institutions and self-reliance. He even saw into the future, apparently. He predicted that modern democratic government would degenerate into a huge, paternalistic state. "For their happiness such a government willingly labors, but it chooses to be the sole agent and the only arbiter of their necessities, facilitates their pleasures, manages their principal concerns, directs their industry, regulates the descent of property, and subdivides their inheritances; what remains, but to spare them all the care of thinking and all the trouble of living?" And remember, de Tocqueville, a young Frenchman who came to America to experience and study American democracy, wrote this in 1835. This future disaster, he felt, would keep people in perpetual childhood. Look around you. Pope John Paul II expressed similar sentiments in his encyclical.
Since I have a copy of de Tocqueville's book in front of me, I think I'll add a quote."I have shown how the dread of disturbance and the love of well-being insensibly lead democratic nations to increase the functions of central government, as the only power which appears to be intrinsically sufficiently strong, enlightened, and secure to protect them from anarchy. I would now add, that all the particular circumstances which tend to make the state of a democratic community agitated and precarious, enhance this general propensity, and lead private persons more and more to sacrifice their rights to their tranquility."
Pope John XXIII wrote the encyclical "Mater et Magistra." He sought to protect the primacy of the human person and to "multiply social relationships" so that the individual would be free to act for the common good. Alexis de Tocqueville praised voluntary associations, real socialization.
The Acton Institute article notes that the principle of subsidiarity is "both thoroughly Catholic and thoroughly American." In the area of economics, collectivism fails, free market succeeds. There is a natural law tradition that goes along with these principles. Natural Law is another subject I'll delve into one day.
*********************************************************************************
Pope Benedict gave me some more ammunition in his address to the German Parliament the other day.
He spoke of the Law (divine and natural) and Justice. This will lead me, eventually, to his encyclical, "Charity in Truth." Without Truth there can be no Justice.
Bear with me. The teacher inside me needs to get out sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment