Monday, August 29, 2011

quid enim?

     At roll call in first year high school Latin class, back in the middle ages (of the 20th century), we answered, "adsum," present. I'm launching this for the occasion of my 80th birthday and continue to answer, "adsum," and I ask "quid enim," what's it all about? This blog attempt may please or displease, amuse or bore, influence or not, open eyes or make them roll. I will toss out there what I care about and choose to share. I don't know yet, from day to day, what will appear. It may be politics - culture - religion - prose - poetry - perhaps a mixture. 

     Today, I'm disgusted with politics and politicians. Here is a reflection from  one of the early Fathers of the Church, St. Anthony, Abbot.    Politicians take note.

    "In His sacred Gospel, Our Lord Jesus Christ says to us: Enter ye in at the narrow gate (Matt. 7:13)....What this narrow gate is through which we must enter, the wise Solomon makes clear to us where he says: My son, give not thy mouth to cause they flesh to sin (Eccles. 5: 5). And again: The mouth of a fool is his destruction (Prov. 18:7). Let us therefore strive to place a strong guard on our lips, that they may not utter anything evil: for evil speech is worse than all poisons.
     All other wounds may be healed, but the wound of the tongue has no cure. The tongue of the dragon is less evil than that of the whisperer, which in turn comes from a most evil demon: for it provokes quarrelling and bitter strife between brethren, sows evil and discord among the peaceful, scatters many communities.  If you permit the whisperer to approach you, he will strip you of every merit you possess. Whosoever becomes involved with him has already become a confederate in his bloodshed, in his murders, and in his slayings! for a whisperer and a murderer spawn the same whelp: if they do not slay you with the sword, they will bring the same disaster on you with the tongue.......
     So then, my sons, have no part in murmuring; do your work earnestly and in silence: for he who is devoted to silence is close to God and His angels and dwells in heaven. For the Lord tells us that he that keepeth his mouth keepeth his soul (Prov. 13:3)."
    
It would be well if more of our leaders would work earnestly and in silence.

I'll try to be in a lighter mood tomorrow.

8/29/11
 

No comments:

Post a Comment